I was in the mood for chicken today, and I realized that oven fried chicken has not made an appearance in my kitchen in a long time. *looks around* And here we are. 😉
There are a lot of different variations of this dish out there, but I tend to just do what feels right when it comes to this recipe. I have also been known to not use measurements, so this could be interesting!
Ingredients (amounts are more like guidelines):
Chicken drumsticks, or thighs, or wings, basically whatever part you have a hankering for!
1/4 C butter (half of a stick)
1 C buttermilk – if you don’t have buttermilk, just add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to the milk and stir. 😉
I C flour
1/2 C Panko (optional)
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon ground rosemary
2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
And a baking dish!
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the butter in the baking dish and stick it in the oven so that it will melt completely. When butter is melted, take the dish out of the oven.
2) Put the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Make sure that they are blended thoroughly.
3) Add buttermilk to a separate bowl.
4) Clean and dry the chicken (obviously! lol), then dip/dunk each piece into the buttermilk, covering the chicken completely. Take the chicken and then dredge it in the dry mixture. After shaking off the excess, you can put the chicken into the dish from there, or you can put it back into the buttermilk and then through the dry mixture one more time.
5) Once each piece is in the dish, place it in the oven for 30 minutes, flip each piece over, and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the skin is brown and crispy and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Also, feel free to play with the amounts (and types!) of seasonings. Find what works best for you and your tastes. 😉